Practical TDD in LiveCode

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Nov 4 13:51:31 EDT 2016

One of many interesting discussions in our local LC User Group meeting
last night was from a relative newcomer who asked about TDD support.

I was able to tell him we have an assert command, and that many
developers have a wide range of ad hoc test harnesses in use.

But what I couldn't point him to is a single harness framework in our
community suitable for broad use.

Is there one?

If not, what would it look like?

How granularly should we write tests?  How much value is there if the
writing of a test takes longer than writing the thing being tested?
Should we write a second test for when a handler in our core business
logic is integrated into a GUI, where the varieties of things that can
happen with input and events is much broader?  Should a good harness
simulate GUI events?  If so, how to make sure they attempt sufficient
erroneous inputs to ensure the scope of our error handling?  How do we
chain tests into a comprehensive automated "Test All"?

So many questions...

How do we make one good test harness that answers them all, at least
reasonably well?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems