Widgets for animation - any advantages?

David Bovill david at viral.academy
Wed May 25 12:24:06 EDT 2016

I've been looking at widgets. One advantage is the ability to do splines
and paths. I'm wandering about the sort of things that will be faster if we
code it in a widget, than if we use Livescript.

For instance what about raster images - voting them painting areas of the
canvas? Is that possible? Is it faster than moving and image object or
button with a background pattern? How about other drawing routines?

Also a fundamental question - what is the relationship between the canvas
object that browsers use - and the way widgets draw to screen. None I
guess? I'm wondering as some things are amazingly fast when drawn to the
browser canvas - do we get the same sort of hardware acceleration when we
use the native widget routines?