When is message passing required?

dunbarx at aol.com dunbarx at aol.com
Mon May 23 12:09:57 EDT 2016

I think the question is being asked "backwards".

If you trap a message, it will die in that handler unless passed explicitly. This is simple to understand  for the"mousdUp" message, say, because that is trapped for a specific reason, and may or may not be passed, as required.

But with "keyDown", the action taken also disrupts what most would consider an automatic engine action, apart, perhaps, from any specific additional user action. So the "automatic" action will not take place unless the message is passed, and this lack of function trips up new users.

But there is no intrinsic difference, only that the expectations of the user are different.

Craig Newman