Daft "text Editor" question

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed May 18 09:49:21 EDT 2016

RM wrote:

 > Does anyone know of a word-processing type program that can open .rev
 > and .livecode files so that one can see ALL the scripts of ALL the
 > objects in one long document?
 >
 > This may sound a bit daft, but I am considering "refactoring" the
 > code-base for my Devawriter Pro from pre version 7 to post version 7,
 > and this will involve very many changes in about 4 million lines of
 > code, and, farnkly, I should like to automate that process as much
 > as possible.

Personally, I find the context of scripts so informative that I tend to
use the Project Browser for things like that.  With the PB I can get to
any script very quickly, but unlike one big text file I also get to know
where the script came from.

But if viewing the scripts out of context is preferred, my go-to
solution for that is LiveCode:  just make a simple stack with one field,
and a button that lets me select any file and put its contents into the
field.   And since you're using LC you could also strip out any
non-ASCII parts, possibly worth the modest effort in allowing you to
have a clean listing.

Another option with LC would be to write a script that worms through the
project and writes all of the scripts to a text file.  There are many
such tools in the community, and the benefit there is that most of them
also include at least the object name the script came from so you'll
have some idea of the original context of the script.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems