LC 8 is great but

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon May 16 13:24:19 EDT 2016

Alain Vezina wrote:

 > Why we can’t make a copy - paste in a text field in iOS and Android
 > (using the clipboardData).
 > I develop apps for helping people in French spelling and grammar and
 > I do need copy and paste in text field.

If attempting to use LC fields for mobile apps, copy and paste is only
the beginning:  it's extremely difficult to emulate the OS-native
selection handling users are accustomed to.

For the long term, extending LC's field object to work well on mobile is
one of the stretch goals outlined in the current crowdfunding proposal:
<https://livecode.com/project/infinite-livecode/>

As convenient as that'll be for some apps (and necessary for those that
need styled text), LC does provide support for OS-native fields right now.

Once created via script, OS-native mobile fields offer several messages
useful for apps like yours, including inputBeginEditing (similar to
openField), inputEndEditing (similar to closeField/exitField),
inputTextChanged (similar to textChanged), and inputReturnKey (similar
to returnKey).

Text can be put into mobile native controls and retrieved from them via
script.

And all the while, they use the same conventions for interaction users
expect, including not only copy and paste but also selection handling,
auto-complete, and more.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems