Community PDF Project (was Revenue and the Open Source edition)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Thu May 5 12:51:01 EDT 2016

Roger Eller wrote:

 > On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >> It never would have occurred to me that a browser engine would also
 >> include its own embedded PDF renderer, separate from any that might
 >> be included in the OS (and IIRC Windows doesn't include one out of
 >> the box).
 >>
 >> Providing a PDF renderer along with the rest of the HTML rendering
 >> with that browser engine is definitely something work noting in a
 >> bullet point somewhere.
 >
 > Android is still in need of an in-stack PDF display feature.
 > The default behavior is to pass it to a user-installed PDF
 > viewer app.

Was that using the CEF browser object?  I wonder if there's something we
can use in our scripts to make use of its embedded PDF renderer.

Jim MacConnell wrote:
 > I do and it's great!
 > I am serving PDF formatted industrial machine setup sheets to
 > operators.
 > I have a user preference setting to either display PDF as a separate
 > window in Adobe Reader or in an "embedded" viewer (Browser window).
 > Operators prefer the browser based display since it's "part of the
 > system".
 > All they really want/need is to move and zoom in a document.
 > WIN only to date cuz that's what we use.

Super-cool.  Thanks for noting that you've had good success on Windows.

That bodes well for the potential to be able to make use of the embedded
PDF renderer on Android.  Fingers crossed...

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems