Revenue and the Open Source edition

RM richmondmathewson at gmail.com
Tue May 3 04:34:29 EDT 2016

 From a purely selfish point of view (what, me, surely not?) I stated I
wanted to PAY for something
PERMANENT because I develop ONLY for desktop (and possibly HTML%)
deployment.

This is where we might need to discuss the sort of folowing scenario:

1. Permanent version that deploys standalones only for desktops (and
HTML5 ?).

2. "Rentable" version that deploys standalones only to tablets (iOS,
Android).

3. All-singing-all-dancing version at a high price (and there's room for
a rent/buy fight there).

"a software tool which is maintained and upgraded regularly, even if
that means that i have to pay for it."

If there were a reasonable price for a permanent version, and upgrades
were then offered at, let's say, 20% of the price
of the permanent version to those who ALREADY HAD PURCHASED the
permanent version . . . ?

Then the end-user can decide whether the new features enabled in an
upgrade are worth upgrading to
or not just yet.

This is a model used by very many software vendors.

  Richmond.