Controls on mobile apps - am I missing something?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jun 27 14:41:23 EDT 2016

Ben Rubinstein wrote:

 > My previous mobile app dabbling had involved entirely custom
 > interfaces. Now I'm trying to create a more straightforward app
 > with a more conventional interface - and I'm getting a horrible
 > dichotomy between the widgets (header bar, navigation bar, switch
 > control, segmented control) and the traditional controls (radio
 > buttons, sliders, progress bars, etc).  The latter look fine
 > on Mac; but on iOS, they've gone back to Motif, which is to say
 > several decades.

iOS does not contain the APIs to render Mac controls, so LC defaults to
its built-in Motif emulation.

Most desktop controls are unsuitable for use on mobile anyway, so using
the types of mobile controls users are accustomed to is a better bet.

Buttons are buttons, of course, and you can get very good appearances by
just changing the style to rectangle or roundRect, with whatever
background and hilite colors compliment your app's appearance.

Radio control take up too much space on small devices.  More commonly
pick lists are used, and LC provides commands to instantiate OS-native
pick lists on mobile.

The closest fit for a radio control on mobile might be an option
control, which is what I use as the on-screen control the user clicks to
bring up the pick list.

For those, and editable fields and scrollers, it took me about 10
minutes to find the process of scripting the instantiation of their
mobile-native counterparts tedious to the point of feeling silly.  So
instead I wrote a backscript that catches preOpenCard to do my
instantiation for me.

My lib examines the controls on the card and then calls
mobileControlCreate as needed, making editable text fields, scroll
interaction overlays, etc. as needed.

Once I figured out that scrollers for fields are actually MUCH simpler
than the LC Lesson for that suggests, getting the basic functionality in
place took just a couple hours.  In fact, given how liberating it is to
be able to use LiveCode objects on the desktop and have a lib
automatically take care of replacing them with their mobile-native
counterparts, even mapping relevant messages between them so I don't
need to write as much platform-forked code, I've been surprised this
isn't included with LC itself.

I'm still making lots of changes to my lib as I work toward deployment,
so it's not yet in a sharable state.  When it is I mkay dual-license it,
but I hope by then LC will just have something like this in the install;
most devs I've talked to have already written their own variants of
this, and like most things the code isn't the hard parts, it's designing
how it should work.  Maybe one of the many others in our community is
already shared and usable....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems