htmlText not supporting target in <a href="xxx">?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jun 21 09:51:51 EDT 2016

Monte Goulding wrote:
 > Ah… the target attribute is not supported by htmlText. htmlText is
 > a limited subset of html that supports only field chunk properties.
 > There’s no guarantee on round-tripping your htmlText.

Given how much of modern HTML makes good use of CSS, the range of things
one can round-trip through htmlText is close to zero.

And that's not bad, given that they're designed for entirely different
purposes:  HTML provides content and structure for web pages in a
browser, and htmlText uses HTML-like conventions to provide a plain-text
representation of a field's content and styles.

@Ton: If you use Mike's script to trap the linkClicked message the URL
will open in a new window anyway (a browser window), so you'll have what
you're looking for without an extra target attribute.

@Monte: Some time ago Mark Waddingham floated the notion of adding
"xmlText" as a synonym for "htmlText", eventually deprecating the
latter.  I like the idea since it helps manage expectations about what
htmlText is designed for.  Is that still seen as desirable?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems