opening utf8 text file

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Jun 18 16:57:44 EDT 2016

Yes.  Everything in LiveCode just works concerning Unicode (except for a few quirks that are being ironed out).

But, everything outside is simply binary, bits, ones and zeroes.  The functions textDecode() and textEncode() are the boundary between inside and outside.  (You can also open files to an encoding.)  Outside are files or Internet TCP streams.  Inside are fields and character counting handlers.

Inside is the abstraction of characters.  Outside are the bits. The functions convert between.

Dar
darzLab