Lying in the bath, but telling the truth.

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Wed Jun 15 13:42:15 EDT 2016

On 2016-06-15 19:37, Richmond wrote:
> This is rather interesting as all my code currently features
>
> set the unicodeText of fld "XYZ" to the unicodeText of fld "XYZ" &
> numToChar(12345)
>
> in LC/RR 4.5, to which I should add:
>
> 1. That works 100% in LC 4.5
>
> 2. I thought that was "the way" in 4.5, so don't entirely understand
> "the changes introduced around 5.5 are likely to cause you *more*
> trouble than those introduced with 7.0".

If your code only ever sets 'the unicodeText of field' and not a field
chunk, then you should find you won't have to make many changes at all.
It was the behavior of character chunks of fields which changed in 5.5 -
setting the field's unicodeText property did not.

Indeed, you should find that 'numToChar()' with 'useUnicode == true' and
'the unicodeText of field ...' work exactly the same in 4.5, 5.5 and 7+
- modulo any bugs which have been fixed in unicode support since 4.5,
that is.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps