The 'startup' message not working in IDE

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Wed Jun 8 20:46:05 EDT 2016

> On 9 Jun 2016, at 9:20 AM, Mark Wieder <mwieder at ahsoftware.net> wrote:
>
> 1: yes, but that rather defeats the purpose of having a separate routine
> for "startup", doesn't it?

Well the original request was for a startup handler to be called on first run of a stack in the IDE so it does that.

> 2. I thought assigning values in a variable declaration was discouraged.

Discouraged by whom? I guess you could check for empty if it’s an issue. I can’t see any mention of it in the FourthWorld scripting style guide: http://fourthworld.com/embassy/articles/scriptstyle.html#Variables

It is most certainly an issue if it’s possible for the script to iterate over it again (I wouldn’t mind a script parser option to throw an error on that) because the value is not reassigned which we discussed the other day. I think it’s a bug as there’s really no reason the local command can’t reassign the value. It’s possibly too dangerous to fix but it does seem unlikely that someone would write `local tVar = 1` and not want it 1 every time the script executed that. Perhaps you could raise it in the panel discussion on scripting styles at the conference which you are in.

Cheers

Monte