Feature Exchange any one?

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Thu Jun 2 20:32:05 EDT 2016

Okay,

I honestly am not sure whether I am serious about this or not, but here
goes:

I was working in LC8.0.1 this evening with a Datagrid and realize that
still, for a component that has been on the LiveCode tool palette for a
LONG TIME now and for MULTIPLE LiveCode versions, there is still not a
single bit of documentation on the Datagrid that comes with LiveCode!
All I wanted to do was look up the specific syntax for hiding a column
via script. Arrgh!

Yes, I have the PDF documentation and I know I can download it from the
LiveCode web site, but that is not the point. The Datagrid has been a
built in LiveCode tools since 4.something or earlier, so that's 4.6.x,
5.0.x, 5.5.x, 6.0.x, 6.1.x, 6.5.x, 6.6.x, 6.7.x (11 of those!), 7.0.x,
7.1.x, 8.0.x, and now 8.1.x! What other software tool has had a major
component for so long with ZERO built in documentation?

What would it take in dollars for a Feature Exchange to have LiveCode
finally add the Datagrid API reference entries from the PDF to the
Dictionary?

It is essentially an editing effort to copy the text of the API
reference chapter of the Datagrid PDF and editing into the format for
the dictionary and check that into GitHub (or however stuff gets in the
dictionary). Can that really cost that much?

And, no, I do not want to do it myself, since I would need to learn
GitHub, checking stuff in and out, the mark up format for the
dictionary, where everything goes, and so on. The reason I want the
Datagrid APIs in the Dictionary is to SAVE me time, not cost me more
time getting them in!

I love LiveCode, but somethings, like this, really irk me :-(