Exiting Browser Widget

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Thu Jun 2 11:26:45 EDT 2016

@ Bill (Prothero): Yes, that was my next approach, (embed iFrame) but I was interested in the tech behind the current behavior in web browsers on mobile… somehow they throw control of the video player to some other framework… where the "Done" and controller appears at the top momentarily.. then it disappears until the user taps anywhere on the video, then you drop back to the browser… kind of like a "go recent" behavior

Assuming that's not an option in LC/Browser widget. (why would it not be?)

Then, yes if we want control we could do the embed iFrame thing… (we are already using this on our web site inside revIgniter views) e.g.

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/view/history-of-hindu-india_part-3

but if we don't want the entire wrapper I'll have to start wrapping my head around displaying html(5) locally (html stored on the mobile device itself) OR create a simple API on the server  and ping that with the youTube ID from the app and *then* have the server return the page with the embed + our "proprietary" JS to send a "go recent card"  to LC. Just seems like a big hack to me…to accomplish a simple "get me out of here" UX requirement in LC.

BR

On 6/2/16, 3:48 AM, "use-livecode on behalf of William Prothero" <use-livecode-bounces at lists.runrev.com on behalf of prothero at earthednet.org> wrote:

>Bramanathaswami :

>It would be great if there was an example stack for this. I don’t use javascript, so throwing together a javascript to do this would be hard.

>In case this is what you are wanting, you can load a youTube video by using the embed code provided by youTube. For example, if you click “share” beneath the youTube video, as displayed on youTube.com, you will see a button you can click on named “Embed”. This is the code you put into a web page to display the video.

>For one video, I get:

><iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KIOVw43A-I4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

>If I create a web page with this code in it, the youTube video will be displayed. You can put other html or javascript into that web page text, so you can get whatever elements you want to show up and/or execute. I assume I can load the web page code from a file in my local app or create it on the fly in livecode.

>Hope this is useful.

>Best,

>Bill

>> On Jun 1, 2016, at 11:25 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami <brahma at hindu.org> wrote:

>> When we are in Safari or Firefox on an iPHone, if you play a YouTube video, the phone switches to full screen  video player and has a "Done" link at the top with the controller.

>> I'm not sure exactly what is happening there,  but this appears to be the way users expect to be able to exit a video.

>> Is there a way to get this behavior in the browser widget when it is assigned a YouTube URL?

>> On 5/26/16, 5:26 PM, "use-livecode on behalf of Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami" <use-livecode-bounces at lists.runrev.com on behalf of brahma at hindu.org> wrote:

>>> Use Case:  Video Viewer (YouTube) "full screen" on mobile devices

>>> 1) set up a landscape card  736w X 414h (16X9)

>>> 2) place a browser widget there that takes the entire screen

>>> 3) when navigating to this card, we dynamically set a YouTube URL to fill the widget/card

>>> So far, so good, tested and it works

>>> BUT

>>> Is there a way to trigger an option to exit and return to previous card or to a menu etc.

>>> without  shrinking the video -- so as to give us some toolbar space at the top or bottom?

>>> I guess the question becomes simply:

>>> how does one trap and pass the mouse down on the browser widget back the LC msg hierarchy?

>>> ideally this behavior could be trigger when the user clicks the play or pause control inside the YouTubeVideo itself.

>>> Possible?

>>> BR