[ ANN ] Release 8.1.0 DP-3

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Sun Jul 31 17:19:40 EDT 2016

Charles, first… let me congratulate you for getting this into LiveCode

As it turns out, I was experiencing the infamous silent network API blocking when there is a failed network call… I think there is an error reporting  bug somewhere as I believe in earlier versions a script error would be trigger with some expression like

"last connection incomplete…." I don't remember the exact wording, I know I did see it the other day..but as long as this state persists, no further libURL commands will work.

I must have run one test in the msg box with a bad password, I had a password with !! in it and I believe those need to be urlEncoded first before passing to the url string.

So, after that silent failure, (socket still open but broken?) the network API was "stuck" and subsequent tests all failed… after rebooting this morning, everything is working.

I swear I saw that old error message the other day… but today looking through all 893 lines of the scriptExecutionErrors I can' find it.

I think the old method to clean up was to issue a close all sockets command or something, but it's vague… I haven't played with this for years since we turned off FTP on our servers.

Thanks for your examples. When I get time to wrap my head around it… I will see if I can contribute to the dictionary.  Still not sure how to go about that.

If you can advise on the method to clean up the network interface after failures, that would be great.

BR

Charles Warwick" <use-livecode-bounces at lists.runrev.com on behalf of charles at techstrategies.com.au> wrote:

    Some more examples will be along soon :-)

    >a simple "naïve" test for starters (assumes all works under the hood) was
    >
    >put url "sftp://tUser:tPwd@mydomainIP/home/mydomain/public_html/"
    >
    >returns no error for syntax in the script editor… result is empty and "it" is empty.
    hmmm... that should work and does here.