Reading arrays, 3 methods tested, results

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Wed Jul 27 21:52:18 EDT 2016

On 07/27/2016 01:52 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> I get very different results here using this script to produce a small
> sample data set.  I would expect them to be different given that Method
> 1 re-uses a single multi-line key, and Method 3 uses a multi-line key to
> retrieve a value that in the original data is a simpler key.

Yeah, I'm with Richard on this. Those are very different routines.

The first one of course is wrong because it won't put anything into the
result array. Even if it worked, I'd expect it to be the slowest because
"the keys of xxxx" has to be evaluated at runtime, so it's essentially
the same speed as a "do" statement.

The third form is wrong for a similar reason as the first, just in a
less intuitive and faster wrongness.

> Then again, I have to admit I'm not sure what the transformation is
> supposed to do.

Nor I.

--
  Mark Wieder