Licensing AGAIN [was: Sharing FontLab Plugin]

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami brahma at hindu.org
Fri Jul 22 01:34:50 EDT 2016

Mark Wilcox wrote:

    Having the investment of a lifetime license, I'm not
    keen to see LiveCode basing part of their business model on a very
    dubious interpretation of copyright law, which also restricts the useful
    sharing of code between community edition users and commercial license
    holders.

@ Mark: well said. While I don't have a lifetime license I am paid through 2021 or something like that and have been on board since the beginning.

All my advocacy of LiveCode has been geared to having possible collaborators. But having just now done a thorough reading of the EULA… it seems I will henceforth just keep my mouth shut because I can't be asking people to go spend $700.00 just to help design screens.

This has very real consequences in this world. I'll have to get others to join a team on Lucid Chart, or use Balsamiq and other such tools to help develop UI;  and the number of free or inexpensive options for this front end development is exploding, so it will not be difficult to find viable alternatives to LiveCode. or they can just make "boxes" in MS word. Off now to the  web to look for the latest UI dev stuff, anyone have ideas on this? send me ideas off list. I was using Draw.io for a while… very cool… I'll get back into it. Easily adapted for mobile screens and can integrated into Google app/docs…

Sadly, this it not direction the direction I wanted to go in, because in every case where someone "bit on the hook" and tried the community edition, they were smitten by Livecode within a few days… "wow, that easy! Awesome! Now how to I make a group that is a background?"   and off they go to the LC newbie races…

But now we have no choice but to ask these would be collaborators on front end stack development to use other tools.   Exactly the opposite to contributing to the "health of the livecode ecosystem."

Mahalo

Brahmanathaswami