[ANN] Sharing FontLab Plugin

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 01:09:28 EDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 5:06 AM, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
> note that I am not an attorney so nothing I write can be
> construed as legal advice

Neither am I, which is why I think it's important that Peter B (or a
Company rep) is involved and ultimately provides the final sign-off of
such a guide. I'm not even sure spending money on legal advise is
required*

> GPL - ... required for
>       anything made with LiveCode Community.

And therein lies the rub, what exactly does 'made with LiveCode Community' mean?

There are plenty of GPL text editors out there (GNU Emacs, jEdit, Vim)
and you make plenty of stuff with them, a poem, a book, a perl script,
a command line script, an application, and even an application that
will end up on the Apple Store. The GPL license has no effect on what
you make.

I think most people here generally accept that if what you made
includes the LC Engine (basically a stack) then the GPL applies. But
what I've also interpreted from this List is that some correctly or
incorrectly believe that if what I make does not include the LC
engine, then I'm free to pick whatever license I choose.

I believe the fringe cases are:

sharing handlers tested and 'made with Community'

sharing Library/Script Only Stacks as a text file, but were 'made with
Community'

the handlers that an IDE plugin outputs into some other user's (Indy
or Business license) stack, the plugin itself 'made with Community'
but the plugin is not bundled with the Business App, just the
outputted handlers are permanently included.

*As with the kind Business License holding sole who thought he was
being generous by offering to help a poor Community user get their app
into the App Store, a gentle plain English reminder from Kevin that
this is not allowed under the LC license quickly set 99.99% of the
community, who don't read the fine print of an EULA, straight.

I think a Licence guide, which would basically be the Company's plain
English 'What you Can and Can't Do with your License', would quickly
set 99.99% of the community straight. *For the 0.01%, they can choose
to fight it out with lawyers ;-( which would then be the time to spend
money on legal counsel.

PS. Another rhetorical scenario: a bunch of school children do a
computer programming class and are blessed that it's with LiveCode
Community. A small number of them catch the bug and build lots of
little stacks which they share around. Eventually they come up with an
awesome game idea 'Angry Teacher', which they jointly move forward,
fine tuning scripts, solving problems together, until eventually they
reach the point 'I think we could put this on the Apple App Store'.
Fortunately one of the parents is extremely supportive and is happy to
pony up for an LC Indy License. Is it kosher that this app, built by
multiple people using Community, is now licensed by a single Indy
holder? Can further game refinement be done by the gang using
Community?