Sharing Stacks

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Jul 14 19:01:38 EDT 2016

On 14/07/2016 17:57, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> >> Why is that not used?
> >
> > It is used.
>
> But is it used frequently enough to warrant the expense of maintenance
> by the core team?

I think it's not used because it's not reliable.

I was an early, and enthusiastic, user of revOnline when it first
appeared.  I got some really useful stacks from it, and posted a few of
mine.
Then it broke, and stayed broken for a long time, and I got out of the
habit.

Then it started working again - but I had just got out of the habit of
even looking there :-)

Prompted by this thread, I tried it again (with 8.0.1 rc1 which is what
I happened to be using).
  - some UI glitches
  - search was totally unreliable
  - either sorting was broken, or the available stacks were incomplete
  - ....

So I decided I'd better get up to date before complaining :-) Downloaded
8.1.0 dp2, and tried again:
  much better - the UI glitches are still there, but other things seem
much better.

Then I closed the IDE down - and then went back to check on something -
and now I can't get revOnline to open at all.
Clicking on "Sample stacks" does nothing (except a quick flash of the
button itself).

I've checked the loc of stack "revonline" (in the middle of the screen,
roughly), and the vis of it (true), and I'm struggling to think of
anything else to check.
If I had any more of a clue, I'd submit a bug :-)

But about all I can say is "it doesn't work", and I know it did work,
and I can't think of anything useful to say about what's different now
from an hour ago.

-- Alex.