Application Transport Security deadline for iOS apps

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Mon Jul 11 10:31:12 EDT 2016

On 2016-07-11 16:15, Paul Dupuis wrote:
> It is good to know that, at least for a time, some way to make
> exceptions exists. I still think, that all the benefits of HTTPS aside,
> taking choice away from consumers, is wrong and a "bad" move on Apple's
> part.

They aren't taking the choice away from consumers - they are forcing
developers to take some responsibility for the security of the apps
which they wish to offer through Apple's stores thus helping Apple to
ensure that iOS and Mac continue to be a relatively 'safe' space with
regards internet security and the consumer's usage of their devices.

There are rules and regulations (often backed up by law) covering most
things which are sold in most spheres - sometimes to ensure
interoperability (e.g. certain radio bands are controlled to ensure wifi
devices work); oftentimes to ensure safety (e.g. foods cannot be sold if
they contain substances which have been found to be harmful).

I must confess I'm generally glad that if I buy a wifi device, then it
will be pretty much guaranteed *not* to break other wifi devices I have;
and exceedingly glad that I'm exceptionally unlikely to be able to buy
something to eat off a supermarket shelf which would kill me due to
usage of unsafe additives. Good internet security, I think, should
*definitely* be considered alongside these kinds of legislation-backed
regulations.

Of course, it should be pointed out here that ATS relates to app
developers writing apps *not* general internet usage through browsers on
iOS and Mac devices. i.e. Apple are saying - "if you have control over
your servers and such then we expect you to follow best security
practice if you want to benefit from our store ecosystem".

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps