Application Transport Security deadline for iOS apps

Peter TB Brett peter.brett at livecode.com
Mon Jul 11 09:42:21 EDT 2016

On 11/07/2016 13:25, Paul Dupuis wrote:
> I truly hope someone sues them over such
> censorship on 1st amendment (freedom of speech) grounds.

According to my recollection of judicial precedent, the 1st Amendment of
the US Constitution enjoins state and federal from prior restraint of
speech, and does not constrain individuals or private sector
organisation.  So Apple, by definition, can't violate the 1st Amendment
even if they wanted to.

Just supposing that someone did sue Apple, and the case didn't get
immediately thrown out on procedural grounds, we live in a climate where
unscrupulous service providers and other middlemen are intercepting
insecure HTTP connections and inserting adverts or even malware, and
sniffing passwords and other authentication tokens.

If taken to court, I expect Apple would show evidence of the above and
argue that they are taking much-needed steps to ensure users' security
and safety, by making sure that the data the user receives is the same
as the data that was sent, and that sensitive data cannot be sent over
easily-intercepted links.

                                         Peter

--
Dr Peter Brett <peter.brett at livecode.com>