Get fillGradient props

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jul 8 11:59:15 EDT 2016

J. Landman Gay wrote:

> I think we're pretty evenly split between "c" and "u". I prefer "c" because
> it is, after all, a custom property. Those who migrated from SuperCard
> often prefer "u" because over there, I believe, they are called user
> properties.
>
> Richard's guide is pretty good and I follow the other conventions but I
> can't get used to writing a "u" for something that starts with a "c".
> Apparently the team feels the same.

Back in those early days, when I first started noticing the relatively
consistent naming conventions in use among some xTalk programmers that I
later documented in that article, OOP was just coming into vogue and at
the time several authors were commonly use a "c" prefix to denote class
definitions in some language (perhaps I first got it from a Dave Mark
book?  Been so long I don't recall).

Although it's been such a long time between my first proposal for
parentScripts discussed with the Allegiant team for SuperCard and the
xTalk world's first implementation in LC a few years ago, I've always
held onto the belief that the feature's value would eventually be
self-evident enough to see it happen in some xTalk or another.

Since parentScripts (or as they're now unfortunately/ambiguously called,
"behaviors") are in effect class definitions, all these years I've been
holding out hope of using "c" as an identifier for those class
definition objects.  And indeed, now that we finally have what LC calls
behaviors, I use "c" that way, in the names of the objects holding a
behavior script.

It's an admittedly small benefit, made even smaller by my habit of also
coloring buttons with behavior scripts a bright yellow so they stand out
even more.  But sometimes that sort of OCD thing makes me happy.

So while LC's nomenclature may make "c" a more natural-seeming fit for
what it calls "custom properties" for the feature that premiered in the
xTalk world as "user-defined properties" in SuperCard, for my own code
(and Ken's and some others as you've noted) I still use "u" for those,
at long last able to use "c" for the purpose I'd always hoped for. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems