Progress on WP REST API

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Jul 7 20:54:32 EDT 2016

The problem I am having with understanding / using Custom Post Types
(CPTs) isn't the defining of them - it's trying to use them in display
of anything other than the simplest output format. Wordpress has grown
organically to be extremely powerful - but that growth has left it
un-architected in many ways. Themes work with only some plugins, which
work with only some CPTs - and there is no proper templating sub-system
to handle display of those CPTs.

Visual Composer does indeed make it easy to define the layout / format
for simple pages - but (in general) can't seem to handle CPTs.

pods is pretty effective, and (at a reasonable price) includes a
template output system; I happily paid for it, but then found that it is
thoroughly self-contained - you have to stop using VC for either index
or individual pages.

types is (afaict from reading, haven;t yet tried it out) quite good -
but they recommend using their "Views" tool to create templates for
output - and that's a $150 cost. (OTOH it is (just in the couple of
weeks) integrated with Visual Composer). If I had reasonable confidence
that it would actually do what I want, I'd pay that without question -
but I've had lots of experiences of themes / plugins / etc. in Wordpress
that come with rather vague public documentation, and which turn out to
require either premium add-ons, or shortcode programming, or even PHP
programming, so I'm gun-shy of spending money to get to try something out.

So I'd request that whatever example app we come up with, we make show
both WP as a web site *and* LC- WP-rest-api to build an app. Michael's
suggestion of a member system sounds good. Another possibility would be
booking (e.g. appointments, or classes) with Woocommerce handling the
payments.

-- Alex.
btw - would it be worth having a separate forum for the whole lc-wp
discussion ?  I would value benefitting from other' questions and your