the detailed folders returning incorrect data

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Fri Jul 1 14:17:52 EDT 2016

On 7/1/2016 1:50 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> For Windows you can specify specialFolderPath( "0x001a" ) which is the
> approved location for writing app data. On Mac it's the Application
> Support folder ; I thought there was a special designator for that too
> but I don't see one in the dictionary. If memory serves, it's" apsup"
> I think.

SpecialFolderPath("0x001a") is specialFolderPath(26) or
specialFolderPath("Support") and is C:/Users/<USER>/AppData/Roaming

SpecialFolderPath("asup") (on OSX) is /Library/Application Support which
is the equivalent of SpecialFolderPath(35) on Windows or C:/ProgramData

Quite some time ago, we compiled a detailed spreadsheet of
specialFolderPath values and what they returned across various versions
of Windows and OSX.

The problem for us is, there are Windows corporate and university
environments where, in efforts to "lock down" Windows systems,
SpecialFolderPath("0x001a") is read only whether Microsoft says it
should be available or not.

Since we'd like to earn the business of some of these folks, we've
adopted a model of testing a variety of locations to write our app's
files - each needs a quick test to make sure (at the time of the test)
the folder is writable (and readable). We DO this now via a handler that
writes a empty test file, and if successful, then deletes it, returning
true or false for whether the folder is writable.

I was looking to rewrite that routine with what I thought would be a
cleaner version that actually check the detail folders permissions
column (item 10), which *works* as expected under OSX. What I ran into
was that, even though the dictionary entry said nothing about it not
being supported under Windows, the permission are in fact in error under
Windows.

This, by definition, is a bug in LiveCode. It is either a documentation
bug that the dictionary entries for folders and files do not state that
the permissions data is invalid for Windows OR it is a technical bug
that the permission values are invalid for Windows.