[ANN] Release 8.1.0 DP 2

Warren Samples warren at warrensweb.us
Fri Jul 1 12:11:31 EDT 2016

On 07/01/2016 10:00 AM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Warren Samples wrote:
>> ldd doesn't show anything missing. Getting LiveCode to run under
>> Tumbleweed requires no head scratching or additional installation of
>> libs, using the official installation DVD and as well the geckoLinux
>> spin (rolling version) in both the XFCE and Budgie flavors.
>>
>> There's a thread on the dev list with the subject "LiveCode fails to
>> open in openSUSE Leap".
>
> Searching for that string gave me zero results, and searching for
> "OpenSUSE" brought up many old threads.
>
> URL?

I follow the lists locally, in my email client, so I can't provide you a
URL. The thread was started on 6-23 on the LiveCode Developer List. Here
is the content of the original post:

---------------(start quote)---------------

The 64 bit LiveCode IDE fails to open for me under openSUSE Leap 42.1.
It was previously working under openSUSE versions 12.x and 13.x. While
there was a period when it failed under Tumbleweed (rolling release), it
works in at least the last two snapshots. Simple standalones work as do
simple LC Server scripts.

The first few times I tried, the LiveCode splash screen hanged while
killed. Now the splash screen disappears after less than a second.

Here is the tail of the livecode_tools_log:
     Enter Script Editor Initialisation
     Leave Script Editor Initialisation
     Enter User Libraries Initialisation
     Leave User Libraries Initialisation
     Enter Errors Initialisation
     Leave Errors Initialisation
     Enter Menus Initialisation
       Trying to get the platform
       Linux

Starting LiveCode from the command line returns this error:
"Error in
`/home/warren/.runrev/components/livecodecommunity-8.0.2-rc-2.x86_64/livecodecommunity.x86_64':
free(): invalid next size (fast): 0x0000000004e84a80"

and sends this to stderr:
     "Use of deprecated SAXv1 function setDocumentLocator
     Got SIGIOT"

It's strange that SUSE built on older and newer libs both work while the
current "main" version does not. Do these errors reveal any useful clues
as to what might be done to get it working?

The shell prints a backtrace. Would this be helpful to see? Running
LiveCode through strace using some particular option?

--------------- (end quote)---------------

To clarify the last sentence of the first paragraph of the original
(copied here from the dev list) post, simple standalones and LiveCode
Server do work under Leap, it's the IDE that is the problem.

openSUSE is quietly one of the more popular distros and Leap is the
current "standard" release so it might be a good thing to get this
figured out. I wonder what LiveCode does just after it gets the
platform, as it finishes up the menus initialization. I posted the shell
backtrace at:

<http://warren.ws/lc_cli_output.txt>

It should be noted that if I run the command several times, the
backtrace will not consistently end with the same lines; sometimes
aborting with more lines and sometimes fewer.

Thank you for looking at this :)

Warren