Explicit Variables

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Fri Jan 29 13:52:16 EST 2016

On 2016-01-29 19:34, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> Mark Waddingham wrote:
> Is my understanding correct, or has the engine implementation of
> explicitVars changed?

Heh - no - I misread Kay's post... Whenever I see 'explicitVariables'
mentioned I tend to think of 'Strict Compilation Mode'.

As you point out, turning on explicitVars for an entire session is never
a good idea unless you control every single line of code in your project
since you don't know whether code written by someone else is
'explicitVar' safe or not. Since explicitVars *only* affects 'do',
'value', 'set the script of' and the compilation of scripts the first
time they are used there really isn't ever a need to set the property
anything other than locally to where you are doing that kind of thing.
(It is also only really worthwhile for the 'set the script of' uses).

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps