Temp folder on public computers

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Jan 26 21:25:33 EST 2016

On 1/26/2016 7:29 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>  > I need to write a temporary file on computers that may be locked
>  > down, such as those in a computer lab or library. Can I be fairly
>  > certain that the temporary folder permissions will always allow
>  > access?
>
> Even if it were, on well-designed systems the temp folder will be
> cleared on boot; on less well designed systems it'll be cleared under
> circumstances your program may not be able to predict; in all cases the
> data has no assurance of survival between sessions.

That's fine, it only needs to be there temporarily while the app runs.
The app can test to see if the file exists if it needs it again, and
recopy it.

> Any chance they can tell you what they want?
>
> Or use a network store?

I need to put html stored in a custom property into a browser object.
Since using a variable isn't possible, I need to write the property to
disk and then load it.

A URL from the server would work too, and I'll do that if we need to,
but I wanted to explore the idea of using the temp folder instead so I
can store the html data in the stack. But the temporary folder has to be
reliably accessible to do that.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com