Message watcher in LC 8

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Mon Jan 18 12:34:44 EST 2016

On 01/18/2016 02:07 AM, Peter TB Brett wrote:

> Note that in LC 8.0.0 DP 13 and later, the IDE save commands don't use
> "the stackFileVersion" and save as specific versions directly.  You may
> want to update your toolbar extension to take advantage of this!  For
> example, simply use:
>
>      save stack "my stack name" with format 2.7
>
> (This is new syntax in 8.0.0 DP 13).

Well, there's a bit more to it than that.

The IDE's preference setting for preserving the file format still works.
And setting the stackFileVersion before saving by script also still
works. So there's no problem with breaking existing code.

The new syntax is at the engine level:

if stacks contain widgets they are saved in 8.0 format.
otherwise stacks are saved in 7.0 format by default.

New to dp13 are:
save stack <yourNameHere> with format <stackFormat>
and
save stack <yourNameHere> with latest format

And the IDE's menu now reflects these for "Save As".

Much discussion at https://github.com/livecode/livecode/pull/3351

--
  Mark Wieder
  ahsoftware at gmail.com