Message watcher in LC 8

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jan 18 10:01:38 EST 2016

Ben Rubinstein wrote:
 > On 15/01/2016 14:42, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >> The IDE insists on changing the name of the stack file when I do
 >> Save As (necessary to maintain compatibility with older versions
 >> of LC), and at some point I just gave up manually changing it to
 >> match the old URL.
 >
 > I wouldn't dream of teaching my grandmother anything in relation to
 > eggs, but FWIW: the 'backup+save' button on my standard toolbar
 > extension looks for a stack property "uPrefStackFormat" which I can
 > set to indicate the preferred format (2.4/2.7/5.5) and sets "the
 > stackfileversion" appropriately before saving the stack.  That
 > technique lets me move around between many versions of LC without
 > (too often) running into the problem you mention.

If I only used the IDE's File->Save command I'd get pretty good results,
as once you do a Save As within the IDE it stores the preferred
stackFileVersion in a custom property and uses that when saving (except
apparently differently in v87dp13, as described below).

Sounds good in theory, and I've even modified my personal tools to use
the IDE's Save routine to keep behavior consistent, but despite that
I've found a few cases where after working in v7 later on I find I can't
open a stack in v6.  Haven't taken the time to pin down which method of
saving doesn't change the stackFileVersion to the saved custom prop (and
in all fairness it may be some of my older tools and not something in
the IDE), and in the case of 4wFlightRecorder it didn't matter much
because the older .rev file extension is just confusing to new users anyway.

Peter TB Brett wrote:

 > Note that in LC 8.0.0 DP 13 and later, the IDE save commands don't
 > use "the stackFileVersion" and save as specific versions directly.
 > You may want to update your toolbar extension to take advantage of
 > this!  For example, simply use:
 >
 >      save stack "my stack name" with format 2.7
 >
 > (This is new syntax in 8.0.0 DP 13).

Nice new addition - thanks.

--
  Richard Gaskin