Release: 8.0 DP 13

Ali Lloyd ali.lloyd at livecode.com
Wed Jan 13 13:05:03 EST 2016

Dear list members,

We are pleased to announce the release of LiveCode 8.0 DP 13.

Warning: this is not a stable release. Please ensure you back up your
stacks before testing them.

*IMPORTANT*: It is especially vital that you back up your stacks before
testing them in 8.0 DP 13, as there has been a change to the save
command. The IDE has been updated to accommodate this change, but we
strongly recommend making back-ups in case there is unforeseen data loss.

*Release contents*

*More accurate measurements when laying out text*
The measurements used by LiveCode to lay out text (the text "metrics") in
versions prior to 8 were optimised for low-resolution bitmap fonts. In
LiveCode 8, more accurate measurements are now being used by the field
and other controls.

*Improvements for saving in old stack file formats*
It is now possible to specify a version of the stack file format to be
used when saving directly with the save command, by using the
save STACK with format VERSION
form of the command.

*Dictionary data build location*
Previously the IDE would try to build dictionary data internally, which
was a problem for the installed application on Windows and Linux (as the
location was not necessarily writable). This also enables navigation to
specific docs entries on platforms where the browser widget is not
available.

*LCB array literals*
It is now possible to use array constants and array expressions in
LiveCode Builder programs.

*35 bug fixes*

*Known Issues*
- Cef Browser (and therefore the dictionary and browser widget) does not
currently work on 32-bit Linux
- HTML 5 standalones do not currently function when they contain extensions
with dependencies.

*Getting the release*
You can get the release at http://downloads.livecode.com/livecode/

LiveCode 8 is still in development so we’d love to hear any
feedback you have on it. There are a number of features that we’d like to
implement but aren’t ready yet and the existing features are subject to
change during development - we can’t guarantee that extensions written in
Developer Previews will continue to work the same way in later versions.

Please report any bugs encountered on our Bugzilla at
http://quality.livecode.com/

We have a forum available for discussing LiveCode Builder at
http://forums.livecode.com/viewforum.php?f=93

The LiveCode Team