Arrays: digitally signing them

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Tue Jan 12 14:16:57 EST 2016

Usually a digital signature is applied to a specific sequence of bytes so needing a canonical representation isn't necessary. (They are used to ensure the specific bytes are as signed).

What's the reason for requiring ordered keys in this case?

Note that utf-8 has multiple representations per string, as do numeric values (as strings - which is an issue for text encoded json) - so ordered keys in the binary representation of an array is just one aspect. (The utf-8 rep of strings and decimal rep of numbers affect Json's byte-by-byte comparison too).

Mark.

Sent from my iPhone