Multi-platform development

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Tue Jan 12 12:47:15 EST 2016

Thanks Bob. I was not expecting quick replies to my question - I know
it's a tough, and potentially wide, area to address.

Thanks for the pointers to those apps - I looked closely at QuickInfo
and more briefly at the other.

My first comment is that I guess I'm not ready to give up on LC yet :-(

In some ways, the WebApp approach is at one end of the spectrum of
platforms. Of course, it can and should be responsive to screen size,
layout, aspect ratio, etc. - but it basically makes *an* app which has
its own look/feel, rather than try to appear like a native app on each
platform.

Also, of course, it provides two large advantages :
  - sidesteps the hurdle of getting into the AppStore (and setting up
correct SDK, Xcode, yada, yada, yada, ...)
  - gives an immediate solution to the Dropbox issue.

I'm sure that before too long we'll have a usable Dropbox library (i.e.
with an OAuth component that imho is needed to make it usable for most
use cases), so I'm happy to deal with some short-term work-around for
data sharing (which isn't too hard for my single app). (btw - yes, I did
look at OAuth with a view to whether or not I could write such a
library, and decided it was beyond my ability/effort level in an area I
just don't understand).

The app store issue - well, I have only the anecdotal evidence from the
uselist, which suggests it is frustrating, but that as long as you have
a reasonable approach to UI, you have some freedom to adopt either a
very iOS-centric approach, or something "quite different but
consistent".   (see more of my views on that topic in my reply to
Richard's post....)

Thanks again,
Alex.