LiveCode for Educators (was LiveCode for the Hobbyists)

Robert Mann rman at free.fr
Sun Feb 28 06:31:28 EST 2016

Hi all,

I wrote a "summary" contribution in the orginal thread I laucched the debate
on, to explain  more clearly the psychological side that motivates the
HOBBYIST Bear... some clever guys here seem to not incorportate that kind of
elements in their thinking/writing. *We are humans, still!*

And I precise here the importance of dealing with our need to *make it
possible to close the code if we wish to*, eventhough we're not pros,
backing up Curry Kenworthy contribution.

Monte Goulding-2
------------------
You might need to fill in some blanks for me on why that is important for a
hobbyist? I would say one feature of a hobbyist with a budget market license
could be no code protection so* it's an important point to clarify*.

RH
-----
Yes, Matt, I have no problem with open source, especially not in those
areas you point too, and I also said it. *I share my code, why not? *

>> Curry Kenworthy
--------------------
*The world is not quite so simple! *

I've seen many people create freeware in spare time and decide to charge
money (or not) for some products after gaining a following or after
having more time.* The decision often comes later. *

Even when money is not a goal, *plenty of freeware products remain
closed. *

• an education OPEN SOURCE version
• an indy-hobbyist  where CLOSED CODE is an option
• an indy-Pro & pro versions where CLOSED CODE IS THE RULE

AND to sum up the numerous participations,
it seems somekind of 100-200 dollars max per year for the indy-hobbysit
version would make a few of us happy with an indy hobbits version.
And that more of us would be much happier in an aloud perpetual license
mode, because me just move.. not so fast!!

And the main difference between pro & hobysit is the level of service
provided and possibly the scope of platforms.
Although this is evolutive :: so far I would tend to think that a hobbist
will not develop for mobiles. But. I would not give my hand on that point.

Or maybe livecode could split
-- a desktop hobysit licence,
-- a separate mobile hobist licence
hence provideding a more linear ladder from free open sourced to pro
version.

THIS supplementary income could well be used to back up the development of a
nice educative package around the open source version, *perhaps with a new
kind of "teacher" contributions in videos etc.. on the open source platform,
for the "kids tech academies"* that are going to spread like hell it seems.
And that would be a fantastic thing.

EDUCATION WAS A VERY STRONG PART OF THE ORIGINAL HYPERTALK STORY.

thanks all for all these deep thinking contributions.
Robert