Players in HTML5 - ETA for Full Functionality?

Robert Mann rman at free.fr
Sun Feb 28 05:49:13 EST 2016

Thank you Dirk, we really have a very similar point of view (i went through
on-rev support.. mobile launching support etc.. and quite a few, and yes,
stopped at perpetual licence!)

Please do re-read the following quotes with a different view than the
"professional" viewpoint. Please do imagine that appart from money, there
are psychological issues, *feelings*. Among these when you use a tool, the
feeling you establish with that tool is important.

*let me put the point again F E E L I N G S -- kind of we are (STILL!)
humans!*

And what is so much more important nowadays is TIME.
I found i'm happy with an old version, just because I know how it works and
I do not have to spend YET some more enormous time to keep up with what is
new and possibly working, or not!

A true "indy-Hobbyist" license, that one can keep for several years for
good, has thus definitive advantages over the free "open source" version
because it brings us the* FEELING of CONFORT.*

CONFORT :
• to keep a strong relation with the environment as being active
customer/member
• to keep "up to date" in our time, when we wish, which is very conforting
and respect OUR TIME.
• to have this confort/confidence that we can make an app to a friend
without the code being automatically exposed (which actually simplifies
coding).
same for testing a first version in view of a possible application.

So that CONFORT for us <u>let us invest time and get involved.</u>
*The most important thing I wrote in my original message was that I got a
clear feeling that my involvement has just DEAD STOPPED at the yearly
renewable license. It seemed to have broken something. And it seems I'm not
the only one in that case, so could be worth digging into.*

/It's difficult to express, man, it really is some feeling about a tool, you
got friendly with./
*Would you "buy" your cat in a yearly renewable license??*
[2nd question is even better to the point :: would you buy every year, your
cat, the same price you paid for it when you chose it, and than double.; and
perhaps later triple amount, every year? just to be able to enjoy your cat
comforting presence? ]
At which point would you just let go your cat our of the door chasing a
mouse???

So clearly we have lost this relation with live code.
We' let the cat out. And this is indeed quite a surprise for us too.
We did support the open source of course!
And we're a little sad because we did participate to the building of that
*SPECIAL RELATIONSHIP* which was an important characteristic of this
language. & of the company & community. We really liked our cat, above all
rationals (I mean frankly.. if we had been "pros" we would have gone direct
PHP and java or whatever..)

I personnaly find it hard to understand (an expression I recall reading in
this thread..) *why such an approach cannot "survive" and, to keep that
strong relation with hobbyists, be offered in addition* to the two new lines
: the "open source" one one side which is great for some ; and the pro line
which is we understand a new line and target for live code (for which.; we
feel we have been chucked out as old useless dynausors!)

We may be old has been bears that do not understand anything in this grand
new world, but we may also have acquired a little bit of wisdom that
"geekies" seem sometimes to let go out of their focus, not thinking in terms
of why but just in term of how.

quote one from Dirk
--------------------------
Just like you had  a hard time understanding me, I have a hard time
understanding why the company would not be interested in the money of the
hobby user. *They don't have professional needs and don't require
professional support.* It's good money for the company.

I responded earlier, because Robert had the same feelings as me. *Livecode
is pushing away the hobby programmer*. I find that *sad*.
I grew up with a ZX Spectrum (and just ordered the new Vega) and started as
a hobby programmer. We had enthousiasm and some of us grew into
professional programmers. Even in those days I paid for my tools.

I still hope that a niche can be created for the *less demanding hobby
group. Not all of us want to feel like freeloaders. *

And yes, I can donate, but a donation does not have the same *feel* as up to
date license.
I guess *it all boils down to how I feel about it*. You can't agrue with
feelings.
Unfortunately *my feelings aren't worth 999$/yr*.

quote two
-----------------
Yes, you got it exactly right. I think the community version is fine, but I
*like* the company and *the idea behind the product*. /That is why I have
been
paying for this for all this time/. I can afford 999$/yr, so the company
will lose a sale. Not just one sale, but a yearly sale. Don't forget I kept
up to date since 2007. It'll be strange to not pay and use the community
version, since *that really is not how I want to use the product*. I
actually
prefer supporting the company.
Maybe I'm just strange. :)

No dirk, you're not strange to me :: we share exactly the same feeling that
goes back to the earlier times of HYPERTALK. We like the idea of supporting
such a more approachable language.
And we're still humans, reacting with emotions and particularly when we
spend time with a tool, language to program a few things we come to think
about in our dreams.

                                                       *    *   *

Regularly, the startups of the silicon valley have the blues :: there are
regular waves of hopes huge investments in view of a revolution followed by
dis-investment.
The yearly license is one of these recent revolutions/trend :: every new
apps gets into the license renewal train. But nobody knows for sure how that
will live up.

it's a bold trend because in effect it cost a lot more to the
"normal/standard"  customer.. ( the super super geek volatile astute geek
can find it interesting with a little bit of planning) so in a while people
will realize, and use less and less apps, or only open sourced and prefer to
sponsor open source.
So there could feel be a kind of boomerang cutting down the great revenues
expected from yearly licenses.

So it could be wise to think more in terms of EVOLUTION and try out new
schemes without getting rid of the old things which somehow did work.

Now, if livecode mothership (or fathership rather!) does not want us to be
around, no problem :: thanks, time and NRJ is the most precious thing we
have. And can be used for other causes than live code. Love affairs have
their endings.