leap to future

Mark Waddingham mark at livecode.com
Thu Feb 25 03:34:19 EST 2016

On 2016-02-25 02:40, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:
> We were told in no uncertain terms, "not gonna happen."

It is important to understand that LiveCode Community and LiveCode Indy
are distinct things. Whilst Community offers a proper subset of
functionality to Indy at the moment that is by no means guaranteed in
the future (it is entirely possible that Community might at some point
come with GPL-licensed extensions which are incompatible with the Indy
Commercial license). Both editions share a common source base but the
license under which you receive either is hugely different.

> It's still baffling, as it would seem to be a no-brainer to turn on
> the HTML5 Standalone builder option in the Indy version and turn off
> the option to encrypt it if you had not paid for HTML5...

The difference between Community and Indy is not really anything to do
with the 'option to encrypt' it is related to licensing.

If you want to do commercial work where you are able to choose the
license under which you distribute your code, then you must buy a
commercial license.

If you don't care about choosing the license under which you distribute
your code and are happy with abiding by the terms of the GPL then, by
all means, use community.

> Again response was "not gonna happen."
>
> So there comes a time when, if Daddy says, "That's the way it's going
> to be," you have to just be quiet.

I think the mistake being made in these threads is assuming that
Community is just Indy without code protection. It is not. Community is
licensed entirely differently - therefore, being able to build HTML5
standalones in Indy 'without protection' is *not* the same as being able
to build HTML5 standalones in Community from a licensing perspective.

> There must be some underlying tech reason why it's not possible.
> Either or the internal tracking of paid/unpaid licenses for HTML5
> option for Indy users could turn into a nightmare...

Given the complexity of software licensing these days, it seems to me
that the best and easiest approach is to keep the Community and Indy
products entirely separate. I can absolutely guarantee you that we will
be making absolutely no attempt to create some sort of strange
undefinable hybrid licensing mess which nobody quite understands (some
might say there's quite enough of that sort of thing in the world
already!).

If you want to use HTML5, but don't have a Indy license for deployment
with - you are free to use the Community edition, but remember that you
must abide by the terms of the GPL.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

LiveCode: Everyone can create apps