Look positive at HTML5 now

-hh hh at livecode.org
Thu Feb 25 02:41:44 EST 2016

Here a constructive post to HTML5.

CLUSTER-6:
** Six HTML5 standalones running smoothly together in one window. **
hh.on-rev.com/html5/ (the cyan button "CLUSTER" is at bottom).

I don't hesitate at all to criticize if appropriate, but much the same
I don't hesitate to praise:
Have fun and try yourself, LC 8.0.0-dp15 did a big step forward with
the HTML5 builder! Look at your great work, Peter (and some co-workers)!

After you started the six modules you can have with that cluster 9
clocks running "in sync". Work with one module and watch the others.

Load one single other module before loading cluster-6, then it's
faster. This is a real stress test for browsers, compare their
performance with cluster-6.

Currently Firefox is running fastest (with animations), Safari has the
best caching for repeated usage. Zoom the window *content* in/out to
fit your window or screen (I mean the cmd-minus/plus/0 mechanism).

I have (with  a 50 Mbit connection) Cluster-6 complete here in
... 12 seconds with Firefox
... 16 seconds with Safari
... 32 seconds with Chrome
... 40 seconds with Opera

This is my opinion to the current state of HTML5:
It's still in the lower half of a first final state. **And it's not very
coincident with my wish list.** But where it is, it is far beyond my
expectations. And it has already now become hard to touch it's limits
(I tried). I like it, go on!

=======
Hermann

p.s. these modules demo a little bit what already works fine.

At topLeft: Fields with effects, a cool font and a color chooser.
At bottomLeft: Numbers drawn by polygons and a small color chooser.
At topRight: Symbols displayed by changing backPatterns.
At midRight: Polygon Clocks, one "wireframe" style, one "plain" style.
At bottomRight: Manipulating imagedata for display (6 images only).