[ANN] mergExt News

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Thu Feb 18 17:57:32 EST 2016

> On 19 Feb 2016, at 5:30 AM, Matt Maier <blueback09 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That's awesome, congrats Monte and Livecode.

Thanks Matt

> Can you clarify the uses of mergExt? Since mergExt is closed source, does
> that mean we just can't use any of those widgets if we want to release open
> source, or is there a way to separate them out as some kind of binary
> bundle?

There are a few of open source externals (mergJSON, mergMarkdown, mergContact, mergDevice). Those that are open source will remain so but there is no plan to open source the rest which means they are not compatible with LiveCode Community.

> Can they be used from a web app in support of operations on a
> phone, or do they have to be on the phone itself?

No they need to be included in the app. Currently this is by adding them to the copy files of the standalone but as soon as we can we will extend the extensions format to support externals (and I’m hoping other things like libraries) to give a better experience for all types of extensions not just LCB based.

Cheers

Monte