Release 8.0 DP 14

Dr. Hawkins dochawk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 18:17:50 EST 2016

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 6:20 PM, Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
wrote:

> Suit yourself.
>
> I regard testing new software my business relies on as part of the ongoing
> cost of developing and maintaining my products.
>
> You know better than most that given the combinatorial explosion of
> possible syntax and feature options that it's not possible for anyone but
> you to test the specific combinations your software relies on.
>
> The rest of us will do some of your testing for you in the course of
> testing our own work, and if you're in a gambling mood you're free to bet
> on the possibility that how we use LC is exactly the same as how you use it.
>
> Personally, I wouldn't take that bet myself, but I'm not much of a gambler.

I'm already gambling on the switch to the product and giving up income for
that to happen . . .

Frankly, I'd be nearly as happy with a 5.6.

The only important thing for me in 7 so far is the ability to scale windows
(which doesn't work all that well on the desktop anyway).  I have a single
usage of chained behavior, which is more about convenience than necessity;
I could have done it with a library (on second thought, there's two).  The
window zooming is the only "win" for leaving 5.

The Postgres SSL would have been useful some time back, but I've already
worked around it (and it's not here yet, anyway).  The large script thing
that triggered this will only take me back to what I had with 5.5 . . .

All in all, with a postgres plugin, I could have done this in HyperCard 2
or SuperCard 1.5.  (in fact, I did exactly that with those a couple of
decades ago, using cards to store the nets & assets rather than a database).

Large scripts not seeing the system on walkabout is the only thing I really
need from 8 so far.

Coherent threading and a simple distributed file format instead of
monolithic stacks would be far more useful for me than anything I've heard
going in.

--
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.
(702) 508-8462