Release 8.0 DP 14

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Feb 5 11:38:42 EST 2016

Roger Eller wrote:

 > Perhaps "apparent" was not the right word, and was mis-used in my
 > moment of frustration.

Happens to all of us.  You should see the many emails I don't send -
sometimes we just need to vent. :)

 > However, I would still love to see the stats on platform-specific
 > (human interaction) testing times at RR before a new version is
 > announced.  Sub-platforms would be interesting to see as well,
 > such as Windows 7 home, vs Windows 7 pro in a secure Enterprise
 > computing environment vs the plethora of OS X and iOS versions.
 > Do they test if the installer needs elevated privileges, or the
 > machine hasn't been secured at all? etc.

I don't know the full scope of their OS use during development, but I
feel somewhat confident in suggesting Windows use could be increased there.

The desktop is all about Windows.  Always has been, and will remain so
for the forseeable future.  LiveCode does a wonderful job of allowing
developers to choose their own OS for developing regardless what
platforms they're deploying to, and given our community's history of
HyperCard knowledge we know that the LC audience is currently skewed
very disproportionately in favor of OS X.

But that's the past.  The future must have a number of new developers
far larger than the current ones, and we can expect any new audience
will reflect the larger demographic in which Windows dominates.

Mark Waddingham explained here a few months back why most of their
machines are Macs:  it's the only computer on which one can legally run
all three OS families, with OS X on metal and various Windows and Linux
version in VMs.

I appreciate that, and used to buy Macs exclusively for that reason, but
those of us who use VMs know how it plays out in practice: we wind up
using our VMs only for periodic testing and touch-ups, and spend most of
our time with whatever OS is installed on metal.

IMNSHO I believe it would be helpful for the LC IDE team to adopt a
workflow in which one full day each week is spent entirely in a platform
other than the one they personally prefer.  So for an OS X fan that
would mean three days of the week with the Mac they love, but one full
day immersed in Windows and another full day immersed in Linux.

I believe that if this were adopted it would greatly accelerate the
discovery and resolution of platform-specific issues.

And after all, the beauty of LiveCode is that it should no impact
productivity of the team at all; after all, if you're spending your day
in LC it should be equally productive regardless what OS it's running
on, so where's it's not that's an LC problem that can be identified and
fixed.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems