Multiple Mobile Shutdown Messages?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Tue Feb 2 15:44:15 EST 2016

Hi All:

I'm wondering if there are different messages sent on mobile (iOS) when an
app is backgrounded versus when the app is swipe-dismissed (removed from
the list of backgrounded apps).

I'm trying to set up a sort of "reset" behavior in an app that allows
starting from screen 1 instead of starting from the last saved point.  I'm
saving user settings normally in a on shutDown handler, but I can't figure
out it there's some way to detect when the app has been "fully closed"
(removed), so when the user relaunches the app it knows to start fresh
from screen 1.

The only thing that comes to mind is a time stamp and setting an arbitrary
session time threshold, like 10 minutes: if the user relaunches within the
time limit they go back to where they left off, but if relaunching outside
the time limit, they start over.  Obviously this isn't ideal as it forces
a 10 minute wait to really start over.  Is there another message besides
shutDown that I'm missing?

I'd prefer not to use a reset button as this is never done on iOS -- when
apps are removed from the backgrounded apps list, they usually "know" to
start over.

Any ideas?

Thanks & Regards,

Scott Rossi