Saving data/settings

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Dec 7 14:01:41 EST 2016

Alex Tweedly wrote:

 > On 07/12/2016 17:13, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >> If your data can be well expressed with key-value pairs, use arrays
 >> locally, and a key-value store like CouchDB or MondgoDB for servers
 >> (I hear there's a great library available for using CouchDB in LC
 >> <g>).
 >>
 > Could you perhaps say more about that  ?
 > Where can it be found ?

It's Greg's ("Pink"); I was having fun with him because of course I know
he knows about it. :)

He's done some fine work on it.  There's a forum thread about it, which
includes a link to the Github repo:

 > P.S. yes, I did look first :-) Google only found me a couple of
 > forum/uselist threads telling me why I shouldn't want this :-)

Lots of good fodder in the SQL-vs-nonSQL debate.

My favorite is Sarah Mei's oft-cited blog post, "Why You Should Never
Use MongoDB":
<http://www.sarahmei.com/blog/2013/11/11/why-you-should-never-use-mongodb/>

She raises some excellent points, told with real-word stories to back
'em up, and I agree with everything she wrote.

I still use key-value stores where they're a good fit, but at least I'm
aware of the trade-offs.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems