Typesetting in LC -- Line Spacing

Paul Dupuis paul at researchware.com
Mon Dec 5 15:38:29 EST 2016

On 12/5/2016 3:08 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> On 12/5/16 1:19 PM, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:
>
>> Can we now control the line height above and below  the headlines in
>> this example… i.e. control over the baseline of a given line in
>> relation to the baseline of the previous line? i.e. variable spacing
>> between lines in the same field.
>
> It took me forever to find a definitive list, which I now know is
> located in the LC 5.5 release notes. There really should be a lesson
> or summary about this stuff.
>
> To control line spacing individually, you can set the field's
> fixedLineHeight to true and its textheight to the smallest spacing
> you'll need, and then use the "spaceAbove" and/or the "spaceBelow"
> adjustments to manage specific lines.
>
> The "new-ish" field and text properties are very, very powerful and I
> use them a lot. But if you don't know about them, it is almost
> impossible to discover they exist. I only found them because I
> remembered some new features were implemented, but I actually had to
> open and read every release note going to back to 5.5 before I found
> them.
>
> I wish there were a way to search all the release notes at once.

I am not sure what version of LC you are working in, but in LC 6.7.11 if
you go to the dictionary and click on the field object to see all the
properties of the field object, all the new field properties, including
spaceAbove and spaceBelow seem to be there.

In new releases, I often browse object of interest in the dictionary
looking for new properties first rather than the release notes, simply
because the Dictionary is a big convenient button on the IDE toolbar.