Clone graphic does not respect dimensions

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Dec 2 19:47:30 EST 2016

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:

 > At 12:23 PM -0800 12/2/2016, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >>I believe the original post here was about cloning, presumably done
 >>via Option+drag (on macOS, or Cntrl+drag on Win and Linux).
 >
 > Hmm, I was under the impression that it was scripted using the
 > "clone" command. I'd forgotten about option-drag...
 >
 > ...but that's also done with the pointer tool, not the graphic tool.
 > So checking the tool would also exempt that case from auto-resizing
 > small graphics.

IMO it would be even worse to have an IDE convenience prevent people
from scripting their apps.

 >>So many possibilities that I wouldn't be opposed to completely
 >>removing arbitrary IDE-imposed limits on what people can do with
 >>their objects.
 >
 > A good point, but there's also the utility of having the interface
 > act to "heal" common mistakes and enable common patterns (like
 > single-clicking with an object tool to create that object).

How often does that accident that happen?

And how often does one need to use a smaller graphic in their app and
find themselves mystified by being unable to do so?

Either path has trade-offs, but since this is a developer tool, rather
than a consumer drawing tool, I'd favor design decisions that leave the
developer in control.

If someone's smart enough to develop software, they're probably smart
enough to figure out how to grab a resize handle and make a graphic
larger. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems