Performance issues LC8 versus earlier versions.

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Mon Aug 22 10:22:26 EDT 2016

Hi Monte,

here's the script - the actual file could be any 20Mb or so jpg.

on mouseUp
    put URL ("binfile:/Users/alextweedly/Dropbox
(Personal)/Pictures/2016/101_0818/IMGP0021.JPG") into tData1
    put URL ("binfile:/Users/alextweedly/Dropbox
(Personal)/Pictures/2016/101_0818/IMGP0021.JPG") into tData2
    -- put tData1 into tData2
    put the millisecs into time1
    repeat 5 times
       if tData1 = tData2 then
          add 1 to temp
       end if
    end repeat
    put the number of bytes in tData1 && the millisecs - time1 && temp
into msg
end mouseUp

I would not have thought that caseSensitive should matter, since these
are bytes not characters - or is that being naive of me ?

Would caseSensitive make it faster ?

Re md5 for repeated use - yes, it probably is worth doing. My original
reasoning (no observed cases of the same size except genuine duplicates)
was based on the incorrect benchmark (i.e. MY bug). In fact, I now know
there are about 40 examples of this, so I'm probably going to need to
reconsider that decision.

-- Alex.