Garbage collection (crashing on Windows)

Monte Goulding monte at appisle.net
Sat Aug 20 16:56:55 EDT 2016

> On 21 Aug 2016, at 2:33 AM, Dr. Hawkins <dochawk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> In that case, what are the several second pauses in the IDE, particularly
> the editor (versions 5 & 7, maybe others)

Do you happen to have bug report numbers for these pauses because they can probably be fixed? I’ve recently done some work on two functions of the script editor that had quite inefficient and roughly 10 year old code. Indenting and searching entire stacks for strings will be *much* faster in 8.1. Searching all stacks and their stackFiles in the the IDE (something I do multiple times a day at the moment) has gone from a “get it going and go and get a coffee” thing to a “get it going and quickly look to see if you have any new email” thing.

Both of these huge improvements involved taking much more care with things that would require parsing entire blobs of text to add or extract one line.

Cheers

Monte