Garbage collection (crashing on Windows)

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Thu Aug 18 14:35:39 EDT 2016

On 18/08/2016 19:09, Jeanne A. E. DeVoto wrote:
> At 3:28 PM +0100 8/18/2016, Ben Rubinstein wrote:
>> The real problem is that the script was written originally 13 years ago, and
>> the basic architecture was to load everything into large global arrays for
>> cleanliness.
>

> I've had ugly crashes with large or complex arrays (that weren't anywhere near
> the 4G limit). There are (or perhaps were - this may have been fixed in the
> 8.x cycle) some problems with the way such arrays were structured in memory,
> IIRC.
>
> Which engine version are you using? (Apologies if you already said that and I
> missed this.)

Every version from 2.4 to 8.1!

One problem of course is that over this long my memory fades - checking the
script I see that it has a number of instances of
   wait for 1 second with messages -- theory that this might improve garbage
collection

which is why I thought I'd established that this doesn't work; although the
latest problem is arising earlier in the process than previously, so I'll
review to see whether I could also do this earlier, in case it does in fact help.

Ben