What to do with long press? (was Re: Set DoubleClickInterval very low!)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Aug 5 10:21:31 EDT 2016

Roger Eller wrote:

 > On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 12:46 PM, Richard Gaskin wrote:
 >> And is there a way to make mobile-savvy menus from LC popup menus,
 >> or do we need to roll our own for those too?
 >
 > I remember an old webinar where LC demonstrated (at least on iOS) a
 > desktop pop-up automatically "just worked" as a mobile pick list.
 > I believe it was Ben Beaumont showing that.  I never saw it for
 > Android, but that was no surprise.

Useful, but a different object.  The selector LC supports can be created
with mobilePick, and is easy to map to existing controls like an option
button.

The pickList is a dialog that overlays the screen in a modal fashion,
but the menus I'm referring to here is more akin to a traditional menu,
a non-modal list of commands that appears over a portion of the screen,
e.g.:

<https://atlocalhost.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/firefox_android_menu.png>

We can make these well enough with groups of buttons, and with a bit
more effort one can create a generalized custom control that accepts a
list formatted in the way we do for LC menu objects to populate it.

But it's kinda heartbreaking to explain to new users that while LC
provides buttons, fields, windows, dialogs, scrollbars, etc. on desktop,
on mobile many of these basic elements need to be tediously laid out
manually, and - as the engine does with its objects - we need to
implement them in ways that take on the appearance and behavior of
multiple platforms.

All doable, just not a very xTalk-like development experience.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems