[ ANN ] Release 8.1.0 DP-3

Charles Warwick charles at techstrategies.com.au
Tue Aug 2 06:50:40 EDT 2016

On 2/08/2016 4:10 am, Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:
> @Charles:
>
> So, in effect, just to clarify my understanding…
>
> the *only* difference between the TSnet indy and business license is that the indy user has the added burden of coding explicit tsNet commands to get the same asynchronous behavior that the business user can get with simple calls that were formerly blocking. But otherwise, the exact same asychronous task(s) can be accomplished with either license.
>
> Correct?

Indy license users do not get async support for requests made using the
SFTP or SMTP(S) protocols regardless of the command being used.

For all other protocols they can perform non-blocking/async requests.

To clarify the case for business users though, the standard blocking
calls like "post x to url x" remain blocking in the sense that the call
does not return until it has completed.  It just doesn't block other
network requests from being issued concurrently from other handlers.

Even in business, if you want to fire off (for example) a series of HTTP
POST requests from within the same handler without waiting for any of
them to complete, you would still need to use the tsNet async commands.

Regardless of the version, tsNet offloads all network requests to
another thread so using it in any fashion should improve the general
performance of the Livecode application while network transfers are
taking place (animations, responsiveness of the UI to other messages,
etc..).

Regards,

Charles