Beeing a developer after 40

Francis Nugent Dixon effendi at wanadoo.fr
Fri Apr 29 13:51:03 EDT 2016

Hi from Beautiful Brittany,

It all depends on what you mean by "developer" :

1 - You write apps for your own use ?
2 - You sell your apps for money, or give them away to anyone who wants them ?
3 - You spent several years with a software house developing for them ?
4 - You create apps because you love turning problems into apps ?
5 - Your computer runs Window 3, and you don't use it any more
     (but you did live some "developer "days !)

For me, all but no. 5 are true ! I write apps (now using liveCode) every day,
'cos I always find a new reason that I didn't have yesterday.
I wrote my first program (just curious) on an ICL computer at
Liverpool University, in 1959 (or was it 1960 ?) My buddy ran it for me.
My first real computer was an IBM 1401 (early 60's), where I moved
from machine code through Assembler, to PL/1. Then I moved into
"Data Transmission" which kept me rather busy until I retired.
Then I started writing apps in earnest (on a daily basis, but for myself).
 I've been writing (mostly) for fun since then.

I am certainly not the oldest programmer/developer in the world,
but I do my bit. I'm hitting 74 ..........

-Francis

"Nothing should ever be done for the first time !"