Playing sound files

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Apr 26 13:53:02 EDT 2016

Sannyasin Brahmanathaswami wrote:

 > But, can we replicate all the “great-fast and reliable” features
 > of AV Foundation on
 >
 > 1. iOS
 > 2. Android
 > 3. Windows desktop
 > 4. Linux desktop

As Kevin and other team members have noted here, the Windows AV
replacement is well recognized as an immediate need and in development
now.  From his note here on the 15th:

    We¹re actively working on an interim solution now and I¹ll
    aim to update you on what that looks like early next week.

We're only a few days past "next week", so hopefully he'll be able to
chime in here with an update soon.

AV overhaul for OS X is already done, available in more recent builds of
v6.x, also carried forward for 7.0 and 8.x.

AFAIK mobile is a whole different ballgame beyond the scope of the
Kickstarter multimedia stretch goal.  If you have specific features you
need on mobile that are not already available, perhaps those might make
good candidate for Feature Exchange items.

This leaves only Linux in question, which as you know is a very
important question for yours truly.

Given that Windows is the most important desktop platform and that
Apple's abandonment of QT requires the LC team to take immediate action,
I would imagine that the work being done for AV on that platform right
now will be limited to Windows in order to deliver it ASAP.

That said, Linux is no longer a small market itself, and the Player
control used to work there.  We can expect that will be restored as soon
as practical.  My hope is that some of the work done with the OS X and
Windows rewrites will benefit the work remaining for Linux to move that
Kickstarter stretch goal into "Resolved-Fixed" status.

in the meantime, Alejandro and I have had some limited success using
command line calls for simple video and audio playback on Linux.  If you
have an immediate need for AV playback on Linux post a note here about
what you want to do and perhaps we can help.  Most CLI APIs are very
bare bones (no startTime, for example), but for straight
play-from-the-beginning stuff they may be able to help get your Linux
versions moving forward.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Systems